- Girl Scouts: The Silent Killers
- Study Suggests Stonehenge Was Prehistoric McDonald's
- Wolfgang Van Halen Sick Of Being Hit On By 45-Yr-Olds
Boy, 5, Tasered After Fashioning Hand Into Gun
BEAUFORT, S.C. (CAP) - Parents in the Beaufort County School District here were hugging their children a little tighter this morning after a playground shenanigan went awry yesterday afternoon. Sources say Timmy Dibler, 5, was hooting, hollering, and brandishing his pointer finger "like a no-good rascal" during recess when a security guard stepped in.
One jolt of a Taser wasn't enough to put an end to the boy's tyrannical reign in a make-believe Wild West town. But after four blasts, the kindergartener wet himself, and was reduced to tears and whispered pleas for his mommy.
Dibler will be suspended for the remainder of the school year and face a hearing in juvenile court on charges of reckless endangerment. "He said his finger was loaded," elementary principal Susan Blakely told a reporter. "The immediate response, as well as the subsequent prosecution in this case, are warranted."
But even zero-tolerance may not be good enough anymore for the parents in this southern town. The Parent Teacher Association has begun taking a closer look at the school's safety, said stay-at-home mom Tabitha Larue.
"We're relieved that this threat was met with immediate action by an employee armed with a stun gun," Larue said. "But we can do better for our children. We want -10 tolerance. Maybe -25. As negative as you can go, that's what we want to see."
The PTA is urging officials to make immediate changes in district protocol to reduce the likelihood of a copycat marauder.
Their demands include:
- Relocating the school's marginally unsafe playground equipment to the county prison yard and replacing it with a soft pile of recycled tire shreds kept in a fenced-in area covered with 6-inch-thick foam padding.
- Replacing all creative play activities that rely on "imagination" with helpful tasks like dishwashing in the cafeteria and cleaning teachers' cars.
- Arming school personnel with Tasers, machetes, and spy-grade weapons concealed in everyday objects, to ensure that anyone straying from the school code will be met with swift punishment.
By hiding guns inside staplers and tubes of lipstick, and issuing blow darts that bear a striking resemblance to No. 2 pencils, PTA members say their children will finally be safe from threats by non-conformist highwaymen. But officials have noted that staple guns will still be prohibited.
"For God's sake, this is a school," said Blakely.
- Banner Stands» Browse banner stands by Post-Up Stand. Trade Show Displays, Retractable Banner Displays, and more. High quality, 48 hour turnaround time!
- Prom Dresses 2013» Searching for the perfect dress to wear on your big night? Take a look from these styles who top the best-dressed lists all the time!