- Girl Scouts: The Silent Killers
- Study Suggests Stonehenge Was Prehistoric McDonald's
- Wolfgang Van Halen Sick Of Being Hit On By 45-Yr-Olds
WASHINGTON (CAP) - A recent survey shows that a majority of Americans plans to start the new year by vomiting, for the most part involuntarily.
"It seems there is a very common belief that purging oneself is a natural way to put the previous year behind us and start anew," said Dr. Francis Spitznagel, who conducted the survey for the Pew Research Center. "Further questioning revealed, though, that this is pretty much just an excuse for drinking incredible amounts of alcohol in one sitting."
The survey of 5,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 39 showed that 84 percent plan to drink beer and/or liquor until they're ready to "call Ralph on the big white telephone." And after they jettison their chunky cargo, 76 percent of those plan to curl up into a fetal position until unconscious, whereas the other 24 percent say they will start drinking again until they come up with at least one more Technicolor yawn to herald in the new year.
"I know that until I've blown chunks, it doesn't really seem like Jan. 1," said survey participant Josh Reznack, 24, of Moonachie, N.J. "A few years ago I passed out before my annual gastro geyser, and I swear to God it threw me off for the entire year."
The results have already come under fire on several fronts, including from Mothers Against Everything (MAE), the group that recently came out against PETA's anti-Santa campaign.
"We can't help but find these numbers discouraging, to say the least," said MAE spokesmother Darlene Fortenski. "Call it what you will - shouting groceries, driving the porcelain bus, ordering a pavement pizza with all the toppings - it's still not a very good choice when it comes to ways to spend your New Year's Eve.
"If it were up to us, people would make much better choices for their New Year's activity, like a nice game of Yahtzee," she added, noting that the popular dice game made by Milton Bradley rarely causes any gastrointestinal distress.
The survey has also prompted state police around the nation to remind people about the dangers of drinking and driving on New Year's Eve, whether you download your dinner afterwards or not.
"Answering the call of the walrus is all well and good, but we ask that drivers try not to drink too much before they get behind the wheel," said Karl Menchevik of the Nevada State Police. "Four or five drinks, tops - after that you start to get past the point where drinking actually makes you drive better."
The survey also found that 10 percent of people plan to force themselves to call the buffalos on New Year's Eve by sticking a finger down their throat rather than drinking, primarily to purge themselves of excess holiday snacks. The other 6 percent said they would be watching New Year's Rockin' Eve, although several noted that they might wind up painting their shoes just from watching Ryan Seacrest.
- Banner Stands» Browse banner stands by Post-Up Stand. Trade Show Displays, Retractable Banner Displays, and more. High quality, 48 hour turnaround time!
- Prom Dresses 2013» Searching for the perfect dress to wear on your big night? Take a look from these styles who top the best-dressed lists all the time!